B & R Marine has been building quality boats for more than three decades in Hialeah, Florida. While most manufacturers of offshore center consoles have been adding amenities and comfort features so their boats can do double duty as platforms for family fun, B & R Marine has taken a different track. The Ocean Runner 29 Center Console represents B & R’s commitment to producing hardcore offshore fishing machines without adding the expense or weight of features such as forward seating or sun pads. With the advanced technology of twin 300-hp Evinrude E-TEC G2 outboards, the Ocean Runner 29 Center Console can get to the drop with speed and efficiency.
- Deep-V hull with 24-degree deadrise at the transom
- Integrated transom design
- 220-gallon (833 L) fuel capacity
- 300-gallon (1,136 L) fish box capacity
- 38-square-foot (3.53 sq. m) open cockpit
- 30-square-foot (2.79 sq. m) casting platform
- Three livewells
- 6’ (1.83 m) headroom inside the center console
- Under-gunwale rod racks
- Stainless steel deck hardware
|Length Overall||29' / 8.84 m|
1.83 m (in console)
Acceleration Times & Conditions
|Time to Plane||3.6 sec.|
|0 to 30||4.5 sec.|
|Load||2 persons, 3/5 fuel, no water, 50 lbs. of gear|
|Climate||76 deg., 58 humid.; wind: 15-20 mph; seas: <1|
2 x 300-hp Evinrude E-TEC G2
2 x 300-hp Evinrude E-TEC G2
The Ocean Runner 29 Center Console has a singular mission, and that is offshore fishing. Of course, it can be cruised or used to entertain, as any boat can. But every feature inside and out is designed to get to the bite fast and efficiently while providing a solid, stable platform for landing pelagic predators and getting home safely. The aggressive deadrise starts with a sharp forefoot of 40 degrees at the bow and tapers to 24 degrees at the transom to provide wave-paving performance when the seas get challenging. The efficient Evinrude E-TEC G2 outboards support the mission by providing a range of 400 miles at nearly 28 mph with 10-percent fuel reserve and a top speed of more than 57 mph.
- • Integrated Transom. The twin 300-hp Evinrude E-TEC G2 outboards are mounted on the integrated transom, which sets them behind the hull’s planing surface, allowing faster times to plane and significantly less bow rise while accelerating.
- • Multiple Livewells. The test boat had three separate livewells, allowing an assortment of live bait to attract various pelagic species.
- • Multiple Rodholders. With nine rocket launcher-style rodholders mounted both on the T-top (there are six up there) and on the leaning post (three more), the Ocean Runner 29 Center Console makes sure the crew has enough gear for its mission. Gunwale rodholders hold six more sticks around the cockpit (three on each side).
- • Under-Gunwale Rod Racks. Each side can rack three rods amidships. The position is key. These racks allow the crew to keep additional outfits rigged and close at hand, but they won’t get stomped in the midst of a heated fight with a hooked fish. Some boats put these racks too close to the cockpit action.
- • Sharp Bow Entry. The forefoot of this hull is 40-degrees. She slices through chop, while the chine and flare help knock down the seas, to help keep the crew dry in sloppy conditions.
- • Aggressive Deadrise. The Ocean Runner 29 Center Console has a 24-degree deadrise at the transom, providing a soft landing in rough seas.
- • Wide-Open Cockpit. The cockpit on the Ocean Runner 29 Center Console is free of clutter. The only coaming to be padded is across the transom, but this setup largely eliminates the vinyl maintenance and repair necessitated by hooks and knives frequently used on fish boats.
- • Engine Installation. The Evinrude E-TEC G2 outboards feature integrated steering. There are no hydraulic lines, rams, or external cylinders to be mounted. Just four bolts affix the engines’ mounting brackets to the transom, and a digital-shift and -throttle mechanism means only wires and fuel line need be connected to the outboards through a tidy harness.
- • 2-Stroke Technology. E-TEC G2 outboards provide strong low-end torque because 2-strokes deliver a power stroke from every cylinder on every turn of the crankshaft, while a 4-stroke engine’s pistons make a power stroke on one of every two turns of the crankshaft.
- • Joystick Control. The test boat was equipped with Evinrude’s iDock joystick control system for close-quarters maneuvering. Utilizing the E-TEC G2s integrated steering, the iDock system makes docking simpler.
- • Stainless Steel Hardware. The Ocean Runner 29 Center Console has stainless steel hardware throughout.
The Ocean Runner 29 Center Console has a length overall of 29’ (8.84 m) and a beam of 8’6” (2.59 m). With a hull-only weight of 3,800 lbs. (1,724 kg), with two-thirds of a tank of fuel (145.2 gallons of fuel onboard), twin 300-hp Evinrude E-TEC G2 outboards, and two people onboard, it is estimated that the test weight was 6,165 lbs. (2,796 kg).
Top Speed. With the twin 300-hp Evinrude E-TEC G2 outboards turning at 6000 rpm, the test boat reached a top speed of 57.6 mph.
Best Cruise. The best cruise came in at 3500 rpm and 27.9 mph. At that speed, the 13.8 gph fuel burn translates to 2 mpg and a range of 400 miles, while keeping a 10% fuel in reserve of the 220-gallon (833 L) total fuel capacity.
These are impressive numbers, and they're largely due to the fuel economy of the Evinrude E-TEC G2, owing to the technology inherent in these next-generation engines. These outboards use a state-of-the-art direct injection system that combines an efficient combustion-chamber design with placement of the spark plugs near the fuel injectors in each cylinder.
Built-in steering, trim, and tilt simplify rigging and eliminate hydraulic lines and extraneous equipment, while electronic throttle and shift control simplifies rigging as well.
The lower unit is more streamlined, but also incorporates larger gears, made possible through a simplified electronic control system that uses a small solenoid to actuate the shift function. These and other elements help make the Evinrude G2 engines some of the most fuel-efficient outboard engines whether compared to other 2-stroke or 4-stroke outboards on the market.
Acceleration Times and Test Conditions
Time to plane: 3.6 sec.
0 to 20: 4.1 sec.
0 to 30: 4.5 sec.
Ambient temperature of 76-degrees, weather fair, and winds 10 to 20 mph with seas less than 1' (30.48 cm).
These acceleration numbers were achieved, in large part, because the E-TEC G2 is a 2-stroke engine. This means that there’s a power stroke on every turn of the crankshaft, while 4-stroke engines have a power stroke on every other turn of the crankshaft. Since every stroke is a power stroke, roughly twice as much power is applied to the propshaft than with 4-stroke engines, and this yields results particularly in the lower and middle rpm ranges.
The hull form of the Ocean Runner 29 Center Console is designed to handle most sea conditions. With a sharp 40-degree bow entry and a 24-degree deadrise at the transom, it powers though choppy seas with a soft and dry ride. Pronounced strakes and hard chines assist with lift and help the boat track exceedingly well, resulting in exhilarating performance that translates to confidence and poise at the helm.
Evinrude Display. The versatile Evinrude ICON touchscreen display delivers a wealth of information through its color graphics. Engine data -- shown with an intuitive proprietary interface -- is displayed including rpm, trim level, engine water temperature, fuel consumption and economy, and oil levels for each outboard’s oil tank (the system supports up to four engines) with easy access that are mounted under the cowling of each outboard.
Control Engine Functions. The ICON touchscreen display tunes the dynamic power steering and adjusts the feedback to be more or less pronounced, and sets how many turns of the wheel lock to lock. Especially when fishing, boaters come to appreciate a feature like this, which lets them use one kind of steering for the long run to the offshore grounds, then a quick touch of the screen lets them dial in steering for the kind of trolling they’ll do all day, where the ability to drag baits along a weedline with precision can improve the catch rate.
Evinrude Engine Controls. The Evinrude engine controls allow for a host of features including cruise-assist speed control, single-lever operations, and engine sync matching the speeds of both of the engines. A pronounced neutral detent and indicator lights offer additional feedback.
Evinrude iDock System. The nature of the Evinrude integrated steering allows adding the iDock joystick steering system that makes low-speed, close-in maneuvering virtually effortless. Once the user gets accustomed to this system, it will help to instill confidence when operating in tight spaces like crowded marinas or docking at a waterfront restaurant.
Hullside Heights. The distance from the water to the top of the gunwale measures 26” (.66 m) at the aft cockpit, 37” (.94 m) at amidships, and 42” (1.07 m) at the foredeck casting platform.
Contact B & R for information on trailers for their Ocean Runner models.
Contact B & R Marine for details on warranty for their Ocean Runner models.
Options to Consider
Ocean Runner models are factory direct and built to the customer’s specifications.
The Ocean Runner 29 Center Console proved to be a solid performer that handles offshore conditions wonderfully, reflecting a well-designed and heavily-built hull.
The fit-and-finish emulates its mission as a purpose-built offshore fish boat that serious offshore anglers can appreciate. Even with the addition of a few comfort features, few would mistake the Ocean Runner 29 Center Console as a recreational pleasure boat.
The addition of the Evinrude E-TEC G2 outboards to the boat’s straightforward design adds high-tech features, such as electronically-controlled hydraulic steering and trim control, as well as the iDock joystick and ICON Touch engine-control system, to help boaters use the latest technology to make the most of their time on the water.
This powerful fishing rig is well suited for the task at hand: hunting down and landing pelagic predators. Add the technology of the twin Evinrude E-TEC G2 300-hp outboards with its integral oil tank and steering and trim components, strong low-end torque throughout the power band, and cleaner emissions, and this boat is even more ready to help anglers in their quest.