Contents of Report
The Bennington Q27 can take up to 18 on board for a full day of comfort and fun on the water on a stable, roomy platform. Powered by twin 300-horsepower Evinrude E-TEC G2 outboard engines with iDock joystick control, the Q27 provides owners with lively performance and excellent fuel efficiency. The tri-toon hull with sealed lifting strakes gets the boat up to a top-end speed of nearly 60 miles-per-hour, allowing it to get to the assigned destination quickly. The iDock joystick helps simplify close-in maneuvering.
- • A 10’ (3.05 m) Beam. A wide beam makes the Bennington Q27 able to have room for 18 with plenty of room to move about.
- • Evinrude E-TEC G2 Outboards. The twin 300-hp Evinrude E-TEC G2 outboards give the Bennington Q27 commanding performance while offering class-leading efficiency.
- • Evinrude iDock Joystick Control. The test boat’s optional iDock joystick control gives any captain confidence when maneuvering in a crowded marina and docking.
- • Engine Installation. The Evinrude E-TEC G2 outboards feature integrated steering. There are no external hydraulic cylinders, rams or lines. The outboards mount with just four bolts. The E-TEC G2 outboards provide impressive low-end torque, and Bennington mounted the engines with a slight angle to provide even more thrust.
- • Quality Construction and Materials. Bennington does not cut corners on construction with its Thru-Bolt™ technology with extra-thick cross-members to secure the deck. The company’s ergonomically designed seating utilizes five grades of high-density compression foam and premium vinyl upholstery.
- • Wide Step Boarding Ladder. The treads on the fold-down boarding ladder are 4” (.10 m) wide for comfort.
- • Stainless Steel Fixtures. Light housings, cleats, and corner castings are all stainless steel.
- • Warranty. Bennington stands behind the Q27 with its 10-Year +Lifetime Warranty. It includes a Limited Lifetime Deck Warranty, a Limited Lifetime Structural Warranty, and a 10-Year Bow-To-Stern Warranty that covers all materials and workmanship.
The Bennington Q27 has a length overall of 28’3” (8.61 m), a beam of 10’0” (3.05 m). She has an empty weight of 4,702 lbs. (2,132 kg) without outboards, 6,286 lbs. (2,851 kg) with outboards. With a half tank of fuel, test power, and two people onboard, our test weight was estimated at 6,445 lbs. (2,923 kg).
Top Speed. With the twin 300-horsepower Evinrude E-TEC G2s turning at 5500 rpm, the test boat reached a top speed of 58.0 mph.
Best Cruise. Pontoon-boat performance tends to be linear, making it hard to determine the best cruise. With the Bennington Q27 test boat, by dropping the speed to 4000 rpm and below, the Q27 showed a significant decrease in fuel burn and a substantial increase in range. At 4000 rpm or 41.3 mph, the fuel burn was 23.7 gph, which translates in 1.7 mpg and a range of 130 miles. At a sedate 2000 rpm or 14.8 mph, the Q27 can cruise for 6.5 hours for a distance of 188 miles, while keeping 10% fuel in reserve of the 83-gallon (11.4 L) total fuel capacity.
The E-TEC G2 has several attributes that lead to this sort of performance and most have to do with the technology and design used in the outboard. The outboard has an efficient combustion-chamber design, and uses a state-of-the-art direct-injection system, which placed the fuel injectors near the spark plugs. These elements combine with a low-friction design to make the Evinrude E-TEC G2 one of the most fuel-efficient outboard engines on the market.
For more information on the Evinrude E-TEC G2 300, click here…
Acceleration Times and Test Conditions
The Bennington Q27 test boat proved to have good handling characteristics, maintaining a level attitude while accelerating. The Q27 remained flat in the turns and even a heavy-handed captain could not upset the boat’s comfortable demeanor.
However, it was at the dock where the Q27 really shined, thanks to the Evinrude E-TEC G2s with integrated steering. The system makes it simple to add the iDock joystick to allow virtually effortless docking. The system proved to be dialed in, with the boat reacting to the engines’ directed thrust as expected. The joystick control combines complex commands: Move the joystick to the side and add a twist to rotate and the boat slides sideways, combining the movements.
In-Deck Storage. The in-deck storage is 2’2” (0.66 m) deep and measures 8’ (2.44 m) fore and aft.
Evinrude E-TEC G2 Outboards
On-Engine Oil Tank. The oil supply is integral to the engine and incorporates an easy-fill oil funnel, eliminating a messy external tank and hose. Most owners will be able to run a full season on a tank of oil.
The Evinrude E-TEC G2 offers a simple and easy way to monitor the engine lubrication with an available in-dash oil-level gauge system. There is no need to remove the cowling and check oil level before every use.
Integrated Steering. With the steering mechanisms integrated into the engine, there are no external hydraulic cylinders, rams or lines to clutter up the stern.
Direct Injection. Direct injection optimizes how fuel is delivered into the cylinder and how combusted fuel is removed, creating the more efficient engine. Computer software designed to analyze this combustion process, allows more torque throughout the power band, achieves lower emissions, and better fuel economy.
Best of all, when we compare the fuel efficiency that we recorded with a major 4-stroke brand, we found the E-TEC G2 to be more fuel efficient or the same at all but one rpm setting.
Trailer. Bennington does not build or sell trailers. However, Bennington offers specifications that may help identify the appropriate trailer. Go to http://www.benningtonmarine.com/PDFs/Pontoon-Boat-Tailers-2015-Specs.pdf to download the Bennington trailer specifications.
Bennington has what they call the Bennington 10-Year Bow-to-Stern + Lifetime Structural Warranty. Customers are now offered a 10-year bow-to-stern warranty, in addition to a lifetime structural warranty. Bennington covers 100% materials, parts, and labor with no pro-rating, no third-party hand-offs, no warranty transfer fee, and no "read between the lines" statements.
Lifetime Structural Warranty*. Owners of new Bennington pontoon boats receive a Limited Lifetime Warranty on the structure, pontoons, gates, channels, motor mount, and rotomold seat frames.
Lifetime Deck Warranty*. Owners of new Bennington pontoon boats receive a Limited Lifetime Warranty on the 7-ply, pressure-treated, marine grade decking.
10-Year Bow-to-Stern Warranty*. As an owner of a new Bennington pontoon boat, the first ten years are covered directly by Bennington. All materials and workmanship are covered, including flooring, electronics, and upholstery. The dealer will register the warranty with Bennington. The engines are covered by the engine manufacturer’s stated warranty.
Transferrable Warranty*. Bennington Bow-to-Stern warranties are transferable from one owner to another during the life of the warranty, up to 10 years from the original owner’s purchase date, no matter how many owners span a 10-year period. The warranty can be transferred through an authorized Bennington dealer.
Other Stipulations. Bennington doesn’t hand off warranty responsibilities to its suppliers. Claims are handled by the Bennington dealer directly with Bennington.
Bennington boats carry the same warranty whether it’s the first day or the last day of the warranty period. Bennington does not use a declining scale of coverage in its warranty, also known as pro-rating.
Bennington dealers receive 100% of the retail shop labor rate for warranty repairs. This ensures that the warranty work is a priority and completed quickly and to the owner’s satisfaction.
*For specific details on the warranty, contact Bennington or go to: https://www.benningtonmarine.com/warranty/
Options to Consider
- • Bow rectangular table
- • Coffee table
- • Deluxe ottoman
- • Bow gate seat
- • Privacy chaise
- • Porta-Potti
- • Pump-out Porta-Potti
- • Saltwater anode package (a must have for pontoon boats that are used in saltwater)
- • Refrigerated cup holder
- • Sharkhide tube protectant
- • RGB cup holder lighting
The Bennington is a textbook example of a company dedicated to quality and customer satisfaction. Their Q27 model reflects that commitment. It is well built, remarkably comfortable, and with the 10’ (3.05 m) beam it has plenty of plush seating that can accommodate up to 18 family members and friends.
The technology of the twin 300-hp Evinrude E-TEC G2 with strong torque throughout the power band, as well as exceptionally clean emissions make a compelling combination for owners who want low maintenance and high quality. The Bennington Q27 is a top choice for those families who appreciate quality and performance.
Test Result Highlights
- Top speed for the Bennington Q27 (2018-) is 58.0 mph (93.3 kph), burning 46.3 gallons per hour (gph) or 175.25 liters per hour (lph).
- Best cruise for the Bennington Q27 (2018-) is 41.3 mph (66.5 kph), and the boat gets 1.7 miles per gallon (mpg) or 0.72 kilometers per liter (kpl), giving the boat a cruising range of 130 miles (209.21 kilometers).
- Tested power is 2 x 300-hp Evinrude E-TEC G2.
Standard and Optional Features
Full Warranty Information on this brand coming soon!
(It's quick and FREE!)