Designed for long-range cruising, Deal Maker was commissioned by an experienced yachtsman and a repeat Hargrave owner. Along with being a world-cruiser, her mission is to pamper and entertain her owners and guests.
Yachts of this size often have an ancillary mission -- to be an attractive boat for the superyacht charter trade.
- • Three Staterooms – This Hargrave 80 features a large full-beam master with separate his and her heads, a VIP stateroom forward and a port side guest stateroom each with a dedicated head.
- • Six Heads – The 80 Deal Maker has a main deck day head, his-and-hers, an en suite in the master stateroom, en suite VIP head, a guest head, and a head in the crew space.
- • Crew Quarters – The accommodations for the crew feature two separate cabins with over and under Pullman-style bunks and includes a crew lounge with a snack station, full head and access to the mechanical spaces.
- • Main Deck – The aft deck opens to the main salon brightly lit with large windows. Forward of the salon is a fully equipped galley with an island that leads to the dining area.
- • Flybridge – The flybride on this Hargrave 80 is an exceptional entertainment venue featuring a hardtop and sun deck with lounge seating, full service bar and a summer kitchen.
- • Entertainment – The 80 Deal Maker has seven HD TVs 32” or more, including a 75” ultra-high definition TV mounted in the salon. In addition to stereo capabilities with the ability to sync with smartphones, there are high-quality speakers throughout the yacht, Blu-Ray players on the TVs, and extensions for using an iPad for control of much of these electronic packages.
Details of Construction of Deal Maker
- • Fiberglass hand-laid molded hull with V-shaped keel with longitudinal stringers
- • 2,000 gallon (7,571 L) fuel capacity
- • Stainless steel fresh water tanks with 450-gallon (1,703 L) capacity
- • Teak glued to exterior fiberglass decks
- • Double layer of sound and heat insulation in the mechanical spaces, forward, aft, and ceiling
- • Color-coded wiring throughout
- • Watertight bulkheads in the engine room with a stainless steel engine room door with view window adorned with a backlit Hargrave logo
- • Three Freeman dog-down steel, commercial-grade hatches on weather decks for watertight integrity
- • Hardtop over the forward flybridge
- • Heavy-duty, stainless-steel handrails from stem to stern for safety
- • A Sea chest is in the engine room. This reduces the number of thru-hull fittings and means that all raw water shut-off valves are easily and quickly accessible because they are all in the sea chest rather than spread throughout the boat’s hull.
The Paint Job
After the 80 Deal Maker was off-loaded in Fort Lauderdale, she was motored to Roscioli Shipyard where she was painted with the Quantum Brown metallic polyurethane paint from Alex Seal. Hargrave finds it advisable to have boats painted in the U.S. where they will live so that touch-up work can be perfect and easy.
Painted Hull. Hargrave generally tries to discourage painted hulls because they require more maintenance as salt easily cakes up and they have to be constantly washed. And, dark colors fade after five years or so, and need repainting to restore their old gloss. We disagree with Hargrave on this point, as we think a painted hull sets the boat apart and makes it look far more imposing, than a normal white hull. This boat is a case in point.
Notable Equipment Installed on Deal Maker
There is an extensive equipment list too long to publish here. The following is a number of items that are of particular importance for a vessel of this type.
- • Remote Maxwell windlass operation from the helm with a 150-pound (68 kg), 316 grade stainless steel anchor and 200’ (61 m) of chain
- • Hydraulic bow thruster, Naiad 25-hp with controls. Preferable to electric for durability and long-term operation without overheating.
- • Naiad stabilizers, model 254 with 9 sq. ft. (0.84 sq. m) fins with Multisea 2000 controller
- • Glendinning propulsion system controls with one remote
- • Two 20 gallon (76 L) water heaters
- • Headhunter toilet system in all heads
- • 1500 GPD BWD Explorer Compact Watermaker
- • Two Phasor 30-kilowatt generators
- • Three Cruiseair 3-ton, chilled water air conditioner units
The Airtex hydraulic lift swim platform raises and lowers for launching and retrieving the RIB-style tender or for swimming. It has a 2,000 lbs. (908 kg) capacity which will lift a large tender. There is a stainless steel boarding ladder built into the platform.
The entire swim platform is teak laid.
There is a built in shower with hot and cold water above the swim platform. A water tight door in the transom gives access to the engine room and shore power connections are ensconced in cubbies with fiberglass hatches.
The stainless steel doors at the top of the stairs swing closed and lock in place for added safety while underway. The aft deck is teak and a waterproof Freeman hatch is mounted in the center for emergency engine access.
There is a U-Line refrigerator built into the teak topped fiberglass storage cabinet at the port side wing. There is an ultra-high definition LED smart TV mounted on the aft deck (not shown).
We like the design of having the boat deck extend all the way to the transom so that the aft deck can be buttoned up with isinglass should the owner decide to do that at some point in the yacht’s career. In that way a sun lounge is created for three-season operation. Underway, even in the summer time, it can be chilly in the shade of the aft deck.
There are also stainless hawse pipes and heavy bollard-style cleats.
The layout, systems, accessories, and most especially the décor are the result of a collaboration between the owner, the Hargrave design team, and Yacht Interiors by Shelley.
The ottoman adds comport and doubles as storage and there is additional storage in pull-out drawers under the sectional sofa.
Abundant natural light streams in from the large salon windows which afford a panoramic view. The Hunter Douglas silhouette shades atop the large windows provide privacy.
Custom ceiling panels are festooned with LED lighting and further accented with high-gloss Walnut.
Hargrave is a strong believer is sourcing all appliances from brands that are both reliable and have extensive parts and service outlets in North America and the Caribbean. For that reason, virtually all appliances are GE, or U-Line. Suffice it to say this boat has every appliance that a McMansion would have.
Lower Deck Companionway
There is storage under the master berth with pneumatic lift. This is a good place to put bulky items such as suit cases or ship’s stores that are not often needed. The Bench at the end of the master berth is free standing.
Master Stateroom Ensuite His-and-Her Head
The entertainment center in the VIP stateroom includes a 32” Samsung LED smart TV with Apple TV and Direct TV.
Port Side Guest Stateroom
There is a nightstand with marble countertop. There is a sliding mechanism to enable the two beds to be put together. The entertainment center in the guest stateroom includes a Samsung LED smart TV with Apple TV and Direct TV.
Washer and Dryer
There are Fusion stereo systems with speakers in both the port and starboard crew cabins.
For entertainment there is a 28” Samsung LED mounted in the crew lounge with Apple TV, a Samsung Blu-Ray Player and Marantz surround receiver with Bluetooth and in-ceiling speakers.
There is a washer and separate dryer located in the crew lounge.
The 80 Deal Maker is powered by twin CAT C-18 1150-hp engines, which are relatively economical to buy and run. Clearly, the owner of this boat is not interested in racing the lightweight Italian motoryachts to the next marina for a cold mojito.
Her electrical power is supplied by two Phasor 30 kW generators, which is unusual for Hargrave or any motoryacht that we know. At its core is a 4-cylinder, 3.3 L Kubota engine.
The yacht has Delta-T demister and blower system in the engine room, which is standard equipment on the best motoryachts to keep the engine room as salt free as possible. The boat also has Delta-T ventilation systems in all heads.
The hydraulics on the Naiad 25-hp bow thrusters has a back-up power provider, as do the two stabilizers. There are PTOS on both marine gears.
The head system is by Headhunter, one of the best in the business. The boat is also equipped with its own Headhunter waste treatment system, which we heartily recommend. The company likes to say that they have treated the sewage that you can drink it, but almost no one ever does.
Other engine room equipment includes an ALGAE-X 1500 magnetic in-line fuel conditioner and primers for each of the fuel systems to the engines, something that we recommend.
Hargrave generally recommends Caterpillar engines due to their reliability, power, and speed of spare parts delivery as well as the large number of CAT-certified mechanics in the U.S., Caribbean, and around the world.
Options to Consider
The 80 Deal Maker is a custom-built yacht with owner specified equipment, options, and accessories. With Hargrave, every yacht is as individual as its owner.
Replacement price for the Hargrave 80 H80-JS03 as described in this report is $6,000,000.
The Hargrave team is very much a family operation which translates to taking customer satisfaction to a personal level. The organization has been designing and building luxury yachts for over 20 years. Hargrave claims the highest repeat customers of any yacht builder in their class, and we think that is probably true.
Essentially all yachts of Hargrave’s caliber, use much of the same materials, engines, controls and systems. Hence, the basic costs are about the same. It is the tooling costs, labor costs, national government taxes, government requirements, marketing costs, design and engineering expenses, general overhead, shipping and distribution costs that set the final price. These costs are what make one yacht with essentially identical specifications more expensive than another.
Hargrave yachts have been built in Taiwan by one of the largest yards since the beginning of the company, and that is one of the secrets of its competitive pricing. But other fine yachts are built in Taiwan and cost substantially more, and do not come near offering the customization possible on a Hargrave. Low overhead in the U.S. and minimal marketing costs contribute mightily to the Hargrave competitiveness.
We suspect that more of the owners dollars go into materials and shop floor labor on Hargrave yachts than most others on the market. It is that, and good customer service, that keeps owners coming back to Hargrave, for an ever larger motoryacht.
How Commissioning a Hargrave Works
The now legendary yacht designer, Jack Hargrave, started The Hargrave company in 1957 and the company played an important role in the success of boat builders such as Hatteras, Burger, Amels and many others. Now known as Hargrave Custom Yachts, the company is responsible for producing more than 100 large motoryachts, most for the American market.
The first step to owning a custom Hargrave is for customers to be invited to meet with the Hargrave design team to discuss the new owner’s mission for the future yacht. Then they work out the layout, interior décor, list for systems and accessories as well as virtually every detail and feature.
The next phase is engineering and building of the vessel. For over 40 years, Hargrave has used the Kha Shing shipyard in Taiwan. Most of their experienced technicians and craftsman have been building motoryachts up to 185’ (56 m) for over 20 years, and many for much longer.
Hargrave yachts are built to meet ABYC and CE requirements, Det Norske Veritas class rules, and, in many areas, Hargrave yachts are built to ABS standards as well.
World-class materials, systems, and accessories are selected and installed using the latest proven marine technologies. Full sea trials are conducted in Taiwan and certifications with key suppliers like Caterpillar, and Naiad aboard.
When the yacht is delivered to its owner, Hargrave duplicates the process to ensure a trouble-free boating experience for their clients.
Standard and Optional Features
|Outlet: 12-Volt Acc||Standard|
Boats More Than 30 Feet
|Oil Change System||Standard|
Full Warranty Information on this brand coming soon!
(It's quick and FREE!)