The classic Boston Whaler 170 Montauk has always been practical and highly functional. The latest version has been redesigned to add even more utility and versatility to this “hose-and-go” craft. The simplicity of the helm and adjustable seating features add to the well-thought-out interior layout. It comes with many fishing features and with an optional fishing package, the 170 Montauk can be used as a capable inshore and nearshore fishing platform. Everyone from novice boaters to experienced captains can appreciate Boston Whaler’s rugged design, which combines some of the latest technology with clean, classic good looks.
- • New Hull Form. Boston Whaler reshaped the hull to provide a softer, drier ride, and improved handling.
- • Adjustable Helm Seating. The four-position helm seat has room to support the operator and a passenger comfortably.
- • Evolutionary Design. Boston Whaler has used decades of owner feedback to refine each model in the Montauk line, including the 170 Montauk.
- • Well-Thought-Out Helm. Reflecting Boston Whaler’s 60 years of experience, the helm on the 170 Montauk has a simple, intuitive layout appreciated by all boaters, from novice to advanced.
- • Classic Look. Engaging lines and classic shape make the 170 Montauk timeless.
- • Quality Construction and Materials. Boston Whaler does not cut corners on construction materials and labor utilizing their unique Unibond™ manufacturing techniques and 316-grade stainless steel throughout.
- • Resale Value. Boston Whalers in general maintain their desirability over time. The 170 Montauk should not be an exception when it’s time to trade in, trade up, or sell.
- • Standard Galvanized Trailer. The standard trailer comes with a swing tongue for easier garage storage and disc brakes.
- • Warranty. Boston Whaler stands behind the 170 Montauk with a Ten-Year Structural Hull Limited Warranty, a Three-Year Limited Warranty on Components Manufactured or Installed by Boston Whaler and a One-Year Limited Warranty on Upholstered Items, Canvas, Teak and Powder Coating.
- • Cooler (72-quart) with cushion seat and console mounted backrest with four rod-holders
- • Compass
- • Tackle drawers
- • Helm seat livewell
- • Bow cushion
- • Teak boarding steps
- • Teak swim platform
- • Bimini top
- • Sunlounge (bow, port, and starboard cushions) (not compatible with cooler seat or fishing package)
- • Tow-sport arch
- • Fusion AM/FM stereo with two waterproof speakers and MP3/USB inputs
- Top speed for the Boston Whaler 170 Montauk (2018-) is 45.3 mph (72.9 kph), burning 10.7 gallons per hour (gph) or 40.5 liters per hour (lph).
Click on the link below to read the full warranty …
The Boston Whaler 170 Montauk has a length overall of 17’4” (5.28 m) and a beam of 7’3” (2.21 m). With an empty weight of 1,700 lbs. (771 kg), a third of a tank of fuel, test power and two people aboard, we estimate the test weight to be 2,521 lbs. (1,144 kg).
Top Speed. With the optional 115-hp Mercury Command Thrust FourStroke outboard turning at 5900 rpm, the test boat reached a top speed of 45.3 mph.
Best Cruise. The best cruise came in at 3500 rpm and 22.6 mph. At that speed, the 3.4 gph fuel burn translated to 6.7 mpg and a range of 151 miles, while keeping 10% fuel in reserve of the 25-gallon (95 L) total fuel capacity.
Acceleration Times and Test Conditions
The architecture of the Boston Whaler 170 Montauk’s running surface has been redesigned with a sharper bow entry and pronounced keel radius that make her easier to handle. The solid ride will please even the most experienced operator and give confidence even to a novice. When accelerating, the test boat showed nominal bow rise and reached top speed smoothly without hesitation. Driving through the photo boat’s wake to emulate rougher conditions, the 170 Montauk showed great aplomb knifing through the wake without any pounding. The 170 Montauk had just enough inboard roll in hard turns that the operator and passengers do not feel like they are being pushed to the outside. The simple design and competent handling makes the 170 Montauk ideal for anyone who just wants to have fun on a boat.
All Boats Should Have Anchors. While the mission of this boat is pleasure boating or fishing, owners should not forget that all boats must have at least one anchor suitable for holding securely in wind and sea state. Each type of bottom – mud, grass, sand or rock – requires a different type of anchor. Some anchoring situations also call for more than one anchor to be used simultaneously.
Cupholders. The abundance of cupholders strategically placed throughout the forward cockpit reflects Boston Whaler’s keen understanding of how their customers use their boats.
Boarding Steps. The standard port and starboard amidship boarding steps on the gunwales have molded-in anti-skid texture. Same goes for boarding steps molded into each side of the transom area. For security on the side steps, we suggest that Boston Whaler offer a latching safety chain for the opening between the bowrail and siderail.
Signaling Horn. Under Rule 33 of the Navigation Rules, boats under 12 m MUST carry the means to make an efficient signal. A horn or whistle is the endorsed means to signal intentions or position. We recommend that horn switches be colored red for easy identification when needed in haste.
Ignition Switch and Safety Lanyard. Often the ignition switch is mounted where it may be accidentally bumped into the off position. Normally the shutdown safety lanyard is integral with the switch. Boston Whaler has solved the issue by mounting the devices separately, with the ignition switch near the base of the steering wheel and the shutdown lanyard positioned separately on the front of the console.
170 Montauk Fishing Package. Boston Whaler offers a fishing package for the 170 Montauk which includes a compass, four console mounted rod holders with tool and knife holders, a 72-quart (68 L) cooler with seat cushion and backrest, and a locker in the starboard side of the console that accepts tackle utility boxes.
Fire Extinguishers. Fire extinguishers are required on any boat with enclosed fuel or engine spaces, enclosed living spaces, or permanent (not movable by one person) fuel tanks, and the Boston Whaler 170 Montauk has dedicated storage for one in the starboard side of the console.
Grate Over the Scuppers. This is another example of Boston Whaler knowing what its customers need. By placing a grate over the centerline scupper, it is less likely that debris, such as bait wrappers or paper towels, will clog the drain.
Trailers and Salt Water. To ensure the longest life possible as well as the safety for those launching and retrieving a boat in the harsh marine environment, it is important to wash down the trailer with fresh water and soap after every use. There are products such as Salt-Away that offer a mixing fitting to attach to a standard hose. Inspect hubs, wheels, axles, lights, and springs often for function and corrosion.
Following is a boiled-down version of the warranty description on the Boston Whaler 170 Montauk. We recommend that consumers read the fine print of all boat and engine warranties.
10-year Structural Hull Limited Warranty. Covers structural defects in the material or workmanship reported within 10 years of ownership.
3-Year Limited Warranty on Components Manufactured or Installed by Boston Whaler. Covers components manufactured or installed by Boston Whaler that are defective in factory materials or workmanship reported within 3 years of ownership.
1-Year Limited Warranty on Upholstered Items, Canvas, Teak and Powdercoating. Covers upholstered items, canvas, teak, and powdercoating manufactured or installed by Boston Whaler reported in the first year of ownership.
Click on the link below to read the full warranty…
Options to Consider
Boston Whaler has been improving the iconic Montauk line for decades. The latest release of the Boston Whaler 170 Montauk reflects Boston Whaler’s commitment to customer centric improvements. The new 170 Montauk launched for Boston Whaler’s 60th anniversary has refinements in the hull’s running surface architecture, a larger, redesigned helm console and added fishing features that take the 170 Montauk to the next level.
This is a boat that handles effortlessly with a solid, comfortable, and dry ride. The Boston Whaler 170 Montauk can successfully fulfill many missions, from a well-laid-out boat for a day of fun on the water to a solid fishing platform or an ideal yacht tender. Furthermore, the ageless look makes it an instant classic that should hold value through many generations.
Test Result Highlights
Standard and Optional Features
Full Warranty Information on this brand coming soon!
(It's quick and FREE!)