Honda BF 150
The Honda BF 150 horsepower engine delivers some of the most advanced technology ever seen in an outboard. It boasts VTEC Technology that delivers more power, torque and efficiency at every speed.
The Honda BF 150 is available in three different types: L and X. The information on this page represents the L type unless specified.
- Variable Valve Timing & Lift Electronic Control (VTEC) utilizes mild cam lobes to operate the intake valves at a low RPM then, at 4500 RPM, engages a
- Lean Burn Feedback Control utilizes a linear air-fuel sensor that automatically adjusts the air/fuel mix according to speed and load to maximize fuel
- Three separate cooling systems keep the cylinder had cooler for more long-term durability.
- "On demand," belt-driven alternator reduces heat buildup and provides superior battery charging capability.
- Engine command system receives constant input from 18 different sensors to deliver instant starts, smooth operation, strong performance and excellent
- Linear air fuel and knock sensors help determine the correct fuel flow and ignition curve.
- Patented non-linear rubber mounts provide smoother operation at all engine speeds.
- Built-in pilot tube in the gear case eliminates the need to drill holes in your boat for installation.
- 3-year limited warranty
Honda BF 150 (Outboard) Specifications
|Type of Engine
|Number of Cylinders
||478.00 lbs / 216.82 kg
||144.00 cu / 2,359.74 cc
|Shaft Length Options
||20 in for L / 25 in for X
Honda BF 150 Captain's Report
Honda Outboards: Rated #1 in Customer Satisfaction by J.D. Power & Associates
The Honda 2.4 liter, 4-stroke BF150 horsepower (hp) engine boasts VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Electronic Lift Control) Technology; Honda’s exclusive Lean Burn Feedback and Three Way Cooling Systems; Dual Overhead Cam (DOHC) Technology and the exclusive Dual Stage Induction System.
Derived from racing, and first appearing on the Acura NSX supercar, VTEC utilizes two cam lobe profiles to operate the intake valves, delivering both strong torque at low rpms and high rpm horsepower to maximize power and fuel economy, regardless of speed.
Honda's exclusive Lean Burn Feedback system maximizes fuel efficiency by automatically adjusting the air/fuel mix according to speed and load. Its top-mounted Linear Air Fuel Sensor works with the engine command system, delivering maximum fuel economy whether trolling or cruising.
To ensure long term durability, Honda engineers designed the first individual controlled cooling system for outboard engines. The Three Way Cooling System reduces engine heat, allowing the cylinder head to run slightly cooler than the cylinder block, which greatly reduces engine wear.
The Honda Dual Overhead Cam (DOHC) Technology creates more valve lift and greater air flow for higher horsepower. The roller rocker arm generates less friction and wear, resulting in longer engine life. This design, unlike traditional DOHC designs, is easy to adjust and contains no complex bucket shims.
The Honda exclusive Dual Stage Induction System uses a plenum chamber with twin butterfly valves for low speed drivability and high-speed performance. At low speeds, air passes through a long intake runner, increasing low-end torque. At more than 3,500 rpm, shutter valves open to shorten the air's path, boosting air flow for higher horsepower. While other 4-stroke engines use long manifolds to deliver air to the cylinder head, the Honda design maximizes combustion efficiency.
Finally, the BF150 features a 2.14:1 gear ratio; a belt-driven, 40-amp alternator that offers the best charging in its class; an engine oil cooler; stainless steel compartments and a 4-Front Corrosion Protection System to create an extremely reliable and rugged power plant.