Honda BF 225
The powerful Honda 225 horsepower has a large displacement V-6 engine, giving it outstanding torque. The 24-valve, six-cylinder design produces all the durability and performance of the smooth-running Honda Acura MDX it was based on-in a narrow, sixty-degree "V" profile outboard.
An "on-demand", 60 AMP alternator reduces heat build-up and keeps your battery charged all day, even if you're running multiple accessories. And an oxygen sensor feedback system refines economy. Compact, computer-controlled Dual-Stage Induction makes this engine the standard for reliability.
The Honda BF 225 is available in three different types: L, X and XX. The information on this page represents the L type unless specified.
- A powerful, compact 24 valve SOHC design. Lacking the bulk and weight of long intake runners and multi-camshafts, the narrow V6 design offers top perf
- Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC) system utilizes mild cam lobes to operate the intake valves at low RPM-then, at 4500 RPM, eng
- Honda's dual stage induction variable intake system utilizes a plenum chamber with twin butterfly valves to control the volume of intake air into the
- Lean Burn Feedback Control utilizes a linear air-fuel sensor that automatically adjusts the air/fuel mix according to speed and load to maximize fuel
- "On demand" belt-driven alternator reduces heat build up and provides superior battery charging capacity.
- Engine command system (EMC) monitors vital funtions. EMC receives constant input from 18 different sensors.
- Multi-port programmed fuel injection delivers the precise amount of fuel/air to each cylinder
- Fresh water flushport flushes debris and saltwater out of the engine.
- Standard 5-year limited warranty non declining warranty
Honda BF 225 (Outboard) Specifications
|Type of Engine
|Number of Cylinders
||589.00 lbs / 267.17 kg
||212.00 cu / 3,474.06 cc
|Shaft Length Options
||20 in for L / 25 in for X / 30 in for XX
||90 A (1118 watt)
Honda BF 225 Captain's Report
Honda’s revolutionary BF225 and BF200, with powerful large-displacement 3.5 liter single overhead cam (SOHC) V-6 engines, provide today’s sport angler with the most technologically-advanced outboard power available. Based on the architecture of Honda automotive engines, the models’ 24-valve, 6-cylinder profiles deliver the maximum in durability, world-class performance and reliability as well as superior torque in a narrow, balanced, 60° "V" profile outboard. The slim design of both engines allows for the mounting of dual engines on a 26” center-to-center distance – fitting on a dual engine boat without expensive transom modifications.
The BF225's Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC) technology, that first appeared on the Acura NSX supercar, utilizes mild cam lobes to operate the intake valves at low rpm, and engages a high output cam lobe for high output operation. This state-of-the-art, exclusive design gives this Honda Marine flagship engine a unique blend of power, torque, and efficiency at any speed. “VTEC technology packs a punch to get sports anglers to a breathtaking speed,” said Robin Senger, Honda Marine Marketing. “Performance with efficiency is what VTEC is all about.”
The BF200 features a Single Overhead Cam (SOHC); the low-maintenance Honda design eliminates trial and error adjustment of the valves.
The BF225 and BF200 share a number of other features that provide optimum performance. On both models, the Engine Alert System works to monitor vital engine functions, alerting the operator of any problems. A 2-Pass Cooling System maintains an even temperature on all cylinders, resulting in increased cooling efficiency and long-term durability. The BF225 and BF200 incorporate a Tuned Dual Exhaust that wraps around the outside of the oil pan, serving to reduce heat build-up as well as increase engine efficiency and performance. A Multi-Port, Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) delivers precise amounts of fuel/air to each cylinder, resulting in quick starts, instant throttle response and low fuel consumption. Each engine also contains a crankshaft-driven, automotive-style Trochoid Pump to ensure critical engine component long-term durability.
In addition, both the BF225 and BF200 contain a Single Latch Cowl to ensure a water-tight seal, as well as 4-Front Corrosion Protection System and Stainless Steel Steering Arms, Tilt Tubes, and All Shafts. A Fresh Water Flushport functions to flush debris and salt water out of the engine, extending the life of the outboard, and a Built-In Pitot Tube in the gear case eliminates the need to drill holes in the boat for installation.