The Honda 90 horsepower outboard gives you solid, responsive power when you need it.
The Honda BF 90 is available in two different types: L and X. The information on this page represents the L type unless specified.
Honda BF 90 Captain's Report
Honda Marine’s BF90 and BF75 4-stroke outboard engines offer boaters two models that provide immediate response coupled with smooth, powerful acceleration and fuel efficiency in both fresh and salt water.
Both products deliver virtually smoke-free performance and meet California Air Resource Board (CARB) 3-Star requirements, which are 20 percent lower than those federally mandated by the EPA.
A Closer Look at Soft Spoken Operational Excellence
Quiet and dependable, the Honda BF90 horsepower (hp) and BF75 deliver solid and responsive power with every start. The models share a collection of built-in technological advantages that not only make them excellent performers, but also exceptionally reliable. The duo’s 1.5L, 16-valve, inline 4-cylinder engine is inspired by the same remarkable power plant found in Honda’s top-selling Fit automobile. Honda’s number one selling vehicle globally, the Fit has proven itself time and again to be economical, efficient and durable – all necessary traits in the harsh marine environment.
A Single Overhead Camshaft (SOHC) design uses dual intake valves to deliver an optimal air/fuel mixture for maximum torque and combustion efficiency. In addition, a Multi-Port Electronic Fuel Injection system (PGM-FI) accurately controls ignition timing during start-up, providing optimum overall operation. The ultimate benefit is smoother and quieter operation on the water with instant throttle response and performance.
Top Mounted Electronics are standard features on both engines. The alternator, ignition and other critical components are mounted near the top of the powerhead to ensure all are kept cool and dry. By extension, a crankshaft-driven, automotive-style Trochoid Oil Pump guarantees long-term durability of critical engine components.
The BF90 and BF75 boast an Engine Alert System that uses visual, audio and rpm reduction circuits to alert the operator of conditions which contribute to engine damage, such as overheating, low oil pressure and over-revving. A Fresh Water Flushport works to flush debris and salt water out of the engine, and the patented 4-Front Corrosion Protection System features a double sealed multi-layered paint process; both features extend the life of the outboards.
A Built-In Pitot Tube in the gear case eliminates the need to drill holes during installation, and an Adjustable-Angle Tiller Handle offers convenient and accurate steering.
Honda Exclusive Design Elements
Both the BF90 and BF75 engines feature a number of Honda design exclusives, including:
- Honda’s exclusive Boosted Low Speed Torque (BLAST) system advances ignition timing throughout the entire rpm range, resulting in explosive hole shots;
- Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC™ - BF90), utilizes mild cam lobes to operate the intake valves at low rpm, and engages a high output cam lobe for high rpm operation;
- Lean Burn Control system uses an oxygen (O2) sensor to automatically adjust the air/fuel mixture according to speed and load while maximizing power throughout the acceleration range, providing greater fuel economy in cruise mode;
- 3-Way Cooling System reduces heat by allowing the cylinder head to run slightly cooler than the engine block, greatly reducing engine wear and maximizing engine power;
- 44 Amp Flywheel (magneto) type alternator utilizes small neodymium magnets in the flywheel housing, contributing to the units’ light weight and offering “‘Best in Class” 35 Amp battery charging capacity.
“Our goal at Honda Marine is to maximize boaters’ experience on the water,” said John Fulcher, senior manager, Honda Marine. “The new BF90 and BF75 offer boaters a reliable start, simple maintenance, efficient operation and explosive acceleration – all necessary factors for the most enjoyable and most productive time on the water.”
The Honda BF90 engin